Are you in the process of reinventing yourself?
I’m reading Pamela Mitchell’s book, The 10 Laws of Career Reinvention, Essential Survival Skills for Any Economy. As in every aspect of life, we need support and Mitchell shares some wise advice about who to line up on your team. It wouldn’t hurt to have at least one of each of the following:
- The Master Connector – the ultimate networker.
- The Clued-in Colleague- this is most likely someone you worked with who knows how you work. She understands your work style and likely gives you honest feedback and can help you access opportunities that would match your talents.
- Warm ‘n’ Fuzzy –a friend who unendingly lifts your spirits.
- The Drill Sargeant – like the name, this teammate will give you a kick when you need it, quash your fears, and has your back.
- The Native – this friend knows the new rules for where you want to go, the new land. They are like a knowledgeable guide that direct you and warn you away from danger.
THE DO NOT CALL LIST: (WHO SHOULD NOT SIT ON YOUR BOARD):
- Your spouse or partner
- Your parents
- Frenemies – they may seem like friends but they are secretly competing with you and manage to undermine you successes.
- Unhappy people who are caught in their own woes and victimhood. The wet blanket sure to put out any zesty energy.
I forget which wise person said this but we become like the 5 people we spend the most time with. Who are you surrounding yourself with?