Recently I heard a panel of five artists each share five tips on making a living as an artist. Here’s my distillation, my favorite five after going over 25:
1) Realize you are a brand and people buy into how you present yourself.
2) Making art is a daily practice so always be making something. Especially something that means a lot to you.
3) Don’t get discouraged by the noes. You’ll learn from each one.
4) Have integrity. This is perhaps the most important quality.
5) Find your place, your voice. Don’t even think about the “Art World” when you make your art.